Flight control unit
- FCU (Flight control unit) receives input from control devices, used for controlling the ship's thrusters during free flight.
- FCU is connected to an MFC (Main Flight Computer), which combines information of several FCUs and sends the necessary data to each thruster connected to it.
- This allows the use of several FCUs in a single ship.
- Flight control unit has to be placed in an upright orientation, with the arrow design pointing forward, in order for it to function properly.
- FCU's input instruments, suchs as buttons and/or levers need to be in the same network as the FCU.
- Instruments are mapped to FCU's different controls (limited by the FCU's property FCUModel) by matching device fields.
- One or more Flight control units are also connected to a Main flight computer.
- Each thruster group is controlled by exactly one Main flight computer. There can be several MFCs in one ship.
A tier one FCU allows forward/backwards and turns only, it keeps the ship balanced
A tier two FCU allows the use of strafing from side to side. While manoeuvring it tries to keep the ship balanced (so if you make a turn it turns were you go compensating for other directions as well)
A tier three FCU acts like a tier two but can also ignore balancing calculations, which allows a well-balanced ship to perform much tighter turns by enacting only those thruster that are required to perform that manoeuvre
To learn more about how to use fields, consult these wiki pages:
|FcuMfcIO||For connecting the Main flight computer|
|FcuGeneralMultiplier||A "soft power switch", scales all output|
|FcuForward||Moves the ship straight forward or combines FcuFwdBwd rotations with the forward movement|
|FcuBackward||Moves the ship straight backward or combines FcuFwdBwd rotations with the backward movement|
|FcuRotationalPitch||In-place pitch rotation|
|FcuRotationalYaw||In-place yaw rotation|
|FcuRotationalRoll||In-place roll rotation|
|FcuUpDown||Moves the ship straight up or down|
|FcuRightLeft||Moves the ship straight right or left|
|FcuFwdBwdPitch||Rotation combined to forward/backward movement|
|FcuFwdBwdYaw||Rotation combined to forward/backward movement|
|FcuFwdBwdRoll||Rotation combined to forward/backward movement|